Thursday, May 20, 2010

High Winds in Camp 2!

May 19-

Well, it's been an exciting day. We started up to the Lhotse Face in beautiful clear weather, but it then became quite windy this afternoon and tonight. We are planning to leave for Camp 3 tomorrow morning, so hopefully we'll see less winds tomorrow for our trip up the Lhotse Face.

The weather forecasts have not offered a clear window this year. Now we are trying to thread the needle (with several hundred other climbers) between the Jet Stream, which is now very near Everest and an approaching Cyclone in the Bay of Bengal that looks to be heading our way soon. We are now looking at May 22nd as our summit day.

It's looks like it's going to be a windy climb up to the South Col over the next couple days. We are actually in a very good position to wait a day in C3 or C4 if conditions are unreasonable. We have lots of oxygen for any delays up high and we definitely have one of the strongest Sherpa Teams on the hill! We are all looking forward starting our summit push! Yahoo!

Scott Woolums reporting from Camp 2, Mt. Everest.

No comments:

Post a Comment